Som’body pinch us…
Where has the year gone? We cannot believe that its December and people are already doing countdowns.
When we stepped into this year, we had great expectations and not only have we met these expectations, we have exceeded them. So in this end of the year review, we are going to highlight 9 ways we rocked 2017 and give you an inside look into our plans for 2018.
Here is a bird’s-eye view of our achievements for 2017, month by month:
January: We moved into our new office at 14B, Robert Nebolisa, Idado Town, Lekki Peninsula, Lagos Nigeria.
February: We were featured by The Rockefeller Foundation in their Food Loss and Waste Report
March: We launched Rice and Cassava Farms in Edo State
April: We were nominated as one of the Top 25 Innovative Business by BusinessDay
May: Won the award for Agro-Innovator of the Year 2017
- The first set of sponsors visit farms to meet farmers
July: Launched soyabeans farm in Plateau state with 125 acres
- Farmcrowdy is selected as the only startup in Africa to participate in Techstars Atlanta
- We set a new record! We sold out our Poultry farm units when farm sponsors sponsored 25,000 chickens in 5 minutes 30 seconds.
August: Generated sponsorship for 500 acres of cassava in Akwa-Ibom state to engage over 120 farmers in the community
- Launched in Kaduna with sponsorship for 50,000 chickens in our poultry farm unit
September: Farmcrowdy joins IITA to impact National Youth Corp members
October: Farmcrowdy has sponsored a total of 250,000 organic chickens
- Farmcrowdy launches in Osun State with capacity for 100,000 chicken farms
- Crop harvest for rice begins
- 2000 farmers engaged through the Farmcrowdy platform
- Farmcrowdy has operated in Lagos, Kaduna, Ogun, Oyo, Plateau, Akwa-Ibom, Edo, and Osun. That is 8 states in 12 months!
November: Crop harvest begins for maize
- Crop harvest begins for soyabeans
- Celebrated our first anniversary
- Launched mobile app
We lost count but here are a few mentions we are extremely proud of:
Innovation Village: Nigerians can now participate in agriculture without getting into the farm
Agro Nigeria: Farmcrowdy to participate in Techstars Atlanta
Best Posts of 2017
Best Videos of 2017
We worked with more farmers, farm sponsors, and farm followers this year so there was definitely a lot to learn.
We learned that our farm sponsors wanted the opportunity to sponsor more farms so we opened up more farm units which gave us the opportunity to work with more farmers.
We learned about the type of content that our audience preferred to read and created more of those content.
We started a bi-weekly newsletter because our audience wanted a round-up of all Farmcrowdy news and events in one place.
Most of all, we learned to work hard and work smart.
We started the year with a few team members but the Farmcrowdy team is growing! We hired more staff to accommodate our fast growth rate and we’ll continue to add more awesome members to our team.
Note: If you are an agric enthusiast, or love to cover articles related to agriculture, we would love to feature your piece on the Farmcrowdy blog, mobile app, newsletter and social media.
Our channels have a combined audience of 150,000+ people so you will be getting a lot of eyeballs to your article. To apply as a featured contributor, please click here.
Our Coolest Moments
- When it was announced that we were the only startup in Africa that was chosen for the Techstars Atlanta program.
- On November 14, 2017 Farmcrowdy’s one year anniversary and the day we unveiled the Farmcrowdy mobile app.
The Farmcrowdy mobile app allows you to browse through farms available for sponsorship, receive real-time updates on any farm you sponsored from an easy-to-use dashboard, easily stay in touch with your account officer, and be the first to know when we publish a new post. If you haven’t already, click here to download the app on Google Play Store or on the Apple Store.
- Another cool moment was when we trended for days for the hashtag #WhatIsInYourPocket and when this hashtag was picked up by many cool media outlets like BBC Africa.
- When we raised $1,000,000 as seed investment.
We have big goals for 2018 and it is summed up in our mission:
Empowering Farmers. Together.
Together, we can end poverty, encourage youth participation in agriculture and ensure food security in Nigeria by empowering rural farmers.
These are the 9 ways we rocked in 2017.
Did you enjoy reading our end of the year review and would you like us to write a yearly review? How did you rock in 2017? We would love to hear from you.
Tweet at us, @farmcrowdy or send us a message on Facebook.